Jacob Kaye American-Canadian Jazz & Contemporary musician: drummer, teacher, arranger, leader and featured drum set soloist with over 30 years professional teaching and international performance experience which includes stage, screen, & television.
- Jacob maintains a teaching schedule with a steady stream motivated serious students, professionals and “up and coming” drummers. He has also been fortunate to have taught students accepted into Vanier College & McGill University, as well as professional drummers currently performing and teaching in Montreal, New York City & around the world.
Stylistic Experience Synopsis
- Big Band Jazz & Contemporary Styles (featured soloist) Small group Jazz (drummer, leader) Top 40 Covers/ Show-BandMarching Percussion (Section Leader) R&B/ Funk styles Latin, Afro/ Cuban styles Concert Band (Principal Percussionist)
- Staff Arranger for 30 piece concert band and Show Band
1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras in Navy costume).
- Jacob studied drum set with a few "Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame" educators: Jim Chapin
(20th century’s most influential drum set educator) author of "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer" and Moeller Method proponent. Awarded a performance-based grant for studies as a Performance Major at University of the Arts (Philadelphia), studies with Michael Bookspan Philadelphia OrchestraMaster classes with Saul Goodman of the New York Philharmonic at Curtis Institute of Music.
- Graduate of U.S. Naval School of Music - performance major and small group arranging (it's ... like "old school" 1.5 years at Berklee College of Music, Boston condensed into 6 months of extremely intensive training.) NOTE: Advanced placement allowed Jacob to advance out of a previous required 6 month course of study.
Early years, Jacob with a local club performance. Sampling performances include:
- An early Jazz career with Boise Lowery (Clifford Brown's first music teacher)
- first DuPont's Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (with sidemen from Woody Herman, Hubert Laws, “Philly” Jo Jones, Gary Burton, Hubert Laws, Buddy Rich bands). 1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras below photo).tours include 3 continents, 6 countries - Canada, Japan, Europe, Bermuda, Iceland - and countless cities across the United States East & West Coasts. Various Performances and Music Clinic video sample (internal link performance videos) National T. V. supporting 1984 Olympics NBC Good Morning Show (several times)L.A. Pops Orchestra (USMC band - combined concert)Tampa Jazz Festival (Big Band opening for B.B. King) Non-command performances for former U.S. Presidents Ford and Reagan, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Albert & various dignitaries.Several performances with Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" fame (YouTube link) also pianist substitute.
- While in Hollywood and L.A. - Private engagements and benefit performances with Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Caesar Romero, Kirk Douglas, George Burns, Robin Williams, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope and many more in attendance.
Media Samples Videos
Montreal Band Gigs & Clinics
Connect - Jacob's External Links
NewsLetter Join Page
YouTube Montreal Music - Drum Lessons
Facebook Professional Drummer
Vic Firth Artist Roster
Montreal - Toronto - New York - Skype