Jacob Kaye American/ Canadian Jazz & Contemporary drummer, currently living in Montreal, has over 30 years of international professional experience on stage, screen, & television, including a 13 year contractual agreement as a musician in the U.S. Marine Corps. Jacob studied drum set with Percussive Arts Society "Hall of Fame" teacher Jim Chapin, Michael Bookspan while attending University of the Arts (Philadelphia) as a Performance Major and awarded an "audition-based" grant for studies. Master classes with Saul Goodman at Curtis Institute of Music. Jacob is also a graduate of U.S. Naval School of Music (external link) Major focus was drum set, percussion and small group arranging (it's... like "old school" 1.5 years at Berklee College of Music, Boston condensed into 6 months of extremely intensive training.) Advanced placement allowed Jacob to advance out of the previous required 6 month basic course.
- Jacob maintains a teaching schedule (Skype & Montreal) with a steady stream of “up and coming” drummers. His teaching has been fortunate to include students accepted into Vanier music and professional drummers currently performing and teaching in Montreal, New York City, etc.
1972 - As a teen Jacob's professional music career began performing at a DuPont family wedding with Hal Schiff (notable tenor player and leader of American Youth Jazz Band) and “society gigs” among others. His Jazz career continued with Boise Lowery (Clifford Brown's first music teacher) and continued with performances at the first DuPont's Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (with sidemen from Woody Herman, Hubert Laws, “Philly” Jo Jones, Gary Burton, Hubert Laws, Buddy Rich bands).
1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras in costume).
- Big Band Jazz & Contemporary Styles (featured soloist)
- Top 40 Covers/ Show-Band
- R&B/ Funk
- Latin, Afro/ Cuban
- Marching Percussion (Section Leader)
- Concert Band (Principal Percussionist)
- Small group Jazz (leader)
- Staff Arranger for concert band and Show Band
Sampling of some performance include:
- 1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras above photo).
- tours include 3 continents, 6 countries - Canada, Japan, Europe, Bermuda, Iceland - and countless cities across the United States East & West Coasts.
- Various Performances and Music Clinic video sample (internal link performance vids)
- National T.V. supporting 1984 Olympics
- NBC Good Morning Show (several times)
- L.A. Pops Orchestra (USMC band - combined concert)
- Tampa Jazz Festival (Big Band opening for B.B. King)
- Non-command performances for former U.S. Presidents Ford and Reagan, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Albert & various dignitaries.
- Several performances with Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" fame (YouTube link) also pianist substitute.
- While in Hollywood and L.A. - Private engagements and benefit performances with Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Caesar Romero, Kirk Douglas, George Burns, Robin Williams, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope and many more attending.
Media Samples Videos
Montreal Band Gigs & Clinics
Connect - Jacob's External Links
NewsLetter Join Page
YouTube Montreal Music - Drum Lessons
Facebook Professional Drummer
Vic Firth Artist Roster
Montreal - Toronto - New York - Skype