Where rational Knowledge of facts & Ability to produce... surpass
credentials and experience every time!
Jacob Kaye American/ Canadian Jazz & Contemporary musician: drummer, teacher, with over 30 years of combined teaching and international professional performance experience, ranging from stage (too many to count), television (several times) to screen (one movie as a musician extra).
- Jacob maintains a teaching schedule with a steady stream motivated serious students, “up and coming” drummers, & professionals. Jacob has been fortunate to teach students accepted into Vanier College & McGill University, as well as professional drummers currently performing and teaching in Montreal, New York City & yes... around the world.
Stylistic (real-life) Experience Synopsis
- Big Band Jazz & Contemporary Styles (featured soloist)
- Small group Jazz (drummer, leader)
- Top 40 Covers/ Show-Band
- Marching Percussion (Section Leader)
- R&B/ Funk styles
- Latin, Afro/ Cuban styles
- Concert Band (Principal Percussionist)
- Staff Arranger for 30 piece concert band and Show Band
1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras in Navy costume).
- Jacob studied drum set with several "Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame" educators: Jim Chapin (20th century’s most influential drum set educator) author of "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer" and Moeller Method proponent.
- Awarded a performance-based grant for studies as a Performance Major at University of the Arts (Philadelphia), studies with Michael Bookspan "Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame" educator - Philadelphia Orchestra. Master classes with Saul Goodman of the New York Philharmonic at Curtis Institute of Music "Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame" educator.
- U.S. Naval School of Music - performance major, small group arranging, & conducting (it's ... like "old school" 1.5 years at Berklee College of Music, Boston condensed into 6 months of extremely intensive training.) NOTE: Advanced placement allowed Jacob to advance out of a previous required 6 month course of study.
Early years, Jacob with at local performance.
Some performances include:
- An early Jazz career with Boise Lowery (Clifford Brown's first music teacher)
- First DuPont's Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (with sidemen from Woody Herman, Hubert Laws, “Philly” Jo Jones, Gary Burton, Hubert Laws, Buddy Rich bands).
- 1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras above photo).
- Performances: 3 continents, 6 countries - Canada, Japan, Europe, Bermuda, Iceland - and countless cities across the United States East & West Coasts.
- Various Performances Music Clinic video sample (internal link performance videos)
- National T. V. supporting 1984 Olympics
- NBC Good Morning Show (several times)
- L.A. Pops Orchestra (USMC band - combined concert)
- Tampa Jazz Festival (Big Band opening for B.B. King)
- Non-command performances for former U.S. Presidents Ford and Reagan, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Albert & various dignitaries.
- Several performances with Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" fame (YouTube link) also pianist substitute.
- While in Hollywood and L.A. - Private engagements and benefit performances with Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Caesar Romero, Kirk Douglas, George Burns, Robin Williams, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope and many more in attendance.
Media Samples Videos
Montreal Band Gigs & Clinics
Connect - Jacob's External Links
NewsLetter Join Page
YouTube Montreal Music - Drum Lessons
Facebook Professional Drummer
Vic Firth Artist Roster
Montreal - Toronto - New York - Skype