Current - works with his own band in Montreal while maintaining a teaching schedule with a steady stream of students at all levels, including serious students, "up & coming" drummers as well as respected professional drummers in the music industry.
Jacob studied drum set,
percussion, music theory, piano, and small group arranging with well-known at the Music Conservatory level, and with Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame teachers Jim Chapin, Saul Goodman, Michael Bookspan
Jacob's career started when introduced at the age of 15. Professional commitments for the DuPont family with seasoned professionals, like Hal Schiff (notable tenor player & leader of American Youth Jazz Band).
His music career continued throughout Jr. & Sr. High school. Continuing after school hours playing in various bands performing at a plethora of music venues of the day (talent shows, college parties, concerts, etc.). And, work with neighbor and friend, Johnny Neel (Grammy Nominated Keyboard Player, formerly with the Allman Bros. Band, Disney "Finding Nemo", etc.)
Then Club-work started, performances with Boise Lowery (Clifford Brown's first music teacher) and Boise’stwo nephews Sean (Berklee graduate) and Dexter Koontz (currently, with Alfie Moss & Dexter Koontz Project). Culminating in his first big band professional performance at...what today is known as, the DuPont's Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (with sidemen from Woody Herman, Hubert Laws, "Philly" Jo Jones, Gary Burton, Hubert Laws, Buddy Rich bands).
Recipient of a grant, based on audition performance, for studies as a performance major at University of the Arts in Philadelphia in 1976. Also school alumni Stanley Clarke, jazz bassist, Emmy Award and Grammy Award winner who went to work with "Return to Forever" & Chick Corea.
Contracted 1980 -1993 as a musician with U.S. Marine Corps music program as: music arranger, Instructor, featured drum set performer with Big Band, Small Group Jazz, Top 40 "Show Band" Funk, Latin, Marching Percussion Section Leader, & Concert Band Principal Percussionist. Performances on 3 continents (Europe, Asia, North America), 6 countries (Japan, Netherlands, Bermuda, Iceland, Canada, United States), U.S. Cities, East & West Coasts - too many to keep track, Jazz Festivals (opening for B.B. King), Non-Command performances for U K royalty, U.S. Presidents, & dignitaries.
Highlights: Stylistic Experience
- Big Band Jazz (featured soloist)
- Small Group Jazz (leader)
- Top 40 Cover (Show-Band)
- R&B Funk
- Latin Afro/ Cuban
- Marching Percussion (Section Leader)
- Concert Band (Principal Percussionist)
- Small group Jazz (leader)
- Staff Arranger for concert band (one season)
1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras).
Performances for Dignitaries & Stars: Queen Elizabeth II, Former Presidents Ford and Reagan, Prince Albert;
Actors: Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Caesar Romero, Kirk Douglas, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope etc ...
- Various “live” Music Performances and Music Clinics
- National T.V. supporting 1984 Olympics (USMC band)
- NBC Good Morning Show (USMC band several times)
- L.A. Pops Orchestra (USMC band - combined concert)
- Tampa Jazz Festival (USMC Big Band opening for B.B. King)
- Non-command performances for U.K. Royalty, U.S. Presidents, & various dignitaries.
- Canadian & Netherlands International Military Tattoo (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Rotterdam)
- Jacob (pianist substitute) with Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" (USMC show-band)
- Musician extra in 1992 Disney Movie "Spies”, starring Cloris Leachman (above photo)
Jacob's External Links
Facebook Youtube Vic Firth Twitter