"it's all about how well we play, maintaining consistent-quality..."
Biography of Jacob Kaye
Jacob Kaye - world class drummer and master teacher, was born in Wilmington, Delaware and studied drum set, percussion, music theory, piano and arranging with well-known Percussive Arts Society "Hall of Fame" teachers Jim Chapin, Saul Goodman, and Michael Bookspan among others. Jacob started playing at 5 years and now has over 30 years, including 10 years in the U.S. Marine Corps music field, of world-wide professional performance experience on stage, screen, & television.
Jacob moved from Brooklyn, N.Y. to Montreal in 1998 - he's worked with his and various bands playing private functions, freelance recordings. He also maintains a teaching schedule, open to all levels, with a steady stream of “up and coming” drummers. Including students who have been successfully accepted at Vanier music and former students and professional drummers currently performing and teaching in Montreal, New York City and around the world.
1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & a U.S. Marine Corps band as musician-extras in costume).
Professional Stylistic Experience
- Big Band Jazz & Contemporary Styles (featured soloist)
- Top 40 Cover/ Show-Band
- R&B/ Funk
- Latin Afro/ Cuban
- Marching Percussion (Section Leader)
- Concert Band (Principal Percussionist)
- Small group Jazz (leader)
- Staff Arranger for concert band and Show Band
Appearances 1984 - 1993
- 1992 Disney Movie "Spies", starring Cloris Leachman (Jacob & band as musician-extras above photo).
- Japan, Europe, Bermuda, Canada, and United States East & West Coasts.
- Various Music Performances and Music Clinic video sample (performance vids)
- National T.V. supporting 1984 Olympics (USMC band)
- NBC Good Morning Show (USMC band several times)
- L.A. Pops Orchestra (USMC band - combined concert)
- Tampa Jazz Festival (USMC Big Band opening for B.B. King)
- Non-command performances for U.K. Royalty, U.S. Presidents, & various dignitaries.
- Canadian & Netherlands International Military Tattoo (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Rotterdam)
- Jacob performed with Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" fame (YouTube link) as pianist substitute Show Band and drummer.
Jacob's travels include 3 continents, 6 countries - Canada, Japan, Netherlands, Bermuda, Iceland - and countless cities across the U.S. Including Non-Command ceremonial performances for former Presidents Ford and Reagan. Entertainment performances for Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Albert, Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, Caesar Romero, Kirk Douglas, George Burns, Robin Williams, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope and many more.
Somehow he also managed make time in his schedule to get himself volunteered for Operation Desert Storm as a combat Marine, was honorably discharged. And after leaving the Marines, continued his music career.
Jacob attended and was awarded an "audition-based" grant for study at University of the Arts (Philadelphia) and also studied at University of Maryland. Jacob is a graduate of U.S. Naval School of Music - external link - (it's... like "old school" 1.5 years at Berklee College of Music, Boston condensed into 6 months of extremely intensive training. Advanced placement allowed him to advance out of the previous required 6 month course).
- DuPont family wedding reception at 16 yrs. old in a small group with Hal Schiff (notable tenor player & leader American Youth Jazz Orchestra)
- Performances in the Tri-State Area - New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Wilmington, Delaware with various groups: Boise Lowery - Clifford Brown's first music teacher, Turning Point, Johnny Neel - external link (Formerly with the Allman Brothers Band), Scott Street Blues Band with Bill Shilling, Peacock Bro's. quartet. (Club-work, weddings, coffee houses, University dances etc.)
- Jr. & Sr. High School ensembles (Concert, Marching, & Jazz Bands)
- Staff instructor Wilmington School of Music under Steven Gunzenhauser (Wilmington, Delaware)
- Percussionist for 2 seasons with Delaware Symphony Orchestra, external link - founded by Alfred I. du Pont Van Lier Lanning conductor (Wilmington, Delaware)
- Wilmington Jazz Festival later becoming the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival (external link) - with alumnae from Woody Herman, Hubert Laws, "Philly" Jo Jones, Grover Washington, Jr., Gary Burton, Hubert Laws, Herbie Hancock, & Buddy Rich bands. Leader Sean Koontz
Media Samples Videos
Montreal Band Gigs & Clinics
Connect - Jacob's External Links
NewsLetter Join Page
YouTube Montreal Music - Drum Lessons
Facebook Professional Drummer
Vic Firth Artist Roster
Montreal - Toronto - New York - Skype